Monday, June 30, 2008

Politics - Oh Malaysia

http://sactyr.blogspot.com/2008/06/will-i-ever-return-to-malaysia.html

SADDEN TO HEAR FROM OUR FELLOWSHIP MALAYSIAN WHO HAS INTENDED TO BE AN AUSTRALIAN CITIZEN

When I first came to Australia in 2003, I didn't have this doubt of ever returning to Malaysia. I was as sure as a milking cow that I will go back to Malaysia to work after my studies. But then I was amazed with the country, fell in love with the people and their beliefs, and absolutely respect the system they have here. Five years on, I am a permanent resident of Australia.

People always say that the grass may look greener on the side, but more often that not, it won't be. But, just what if, the grass turned out to be much more greener?? Don't you want to graze there then?

The difference between permanent resident and citizen of Australia is just the voting rights and the right to work in the government, which a permanent resident does not have. So the question is, do I want to apply for citizenship of Australia, which I would be able to in a year's time, and cut off all national ties with my birth country?

The reason why I became a permanent resident in the first place is that I feel I am not safe in Malaysia anymore.....................

---------

No comments: